70 Procreate Gestures + Free HandbookJan 24, 2021
If you're obsessed with Procreate like me, you probably already know by now that there are SO MANY gestures available for Procreate to make your workflow seamless. However, these gestures aren't super common knowledge, they aren't always intuitive, they're not readily available for us to pick up and learn as much as we'd like.
SO, in this blog, I'm bringing you SEVENTY different Procreate gestures to speed up your workflow and overall enjoy the program of Procreate and all that it wants us to do with it because there's so much waiting for us as far as creativity.
I've included GIFs for the blog but if you prefer videos, scroll alllllll the way down to the bottom of this page! (That's also where you'll find your free handbook!)
1. QUICK PREVIEW - Pinch out on any canvas from the gallery.
2. SWIPE TO REVIEW PROJECTS - Once the quick preview is open, you can swipe through them to review other projects as well.
3. EXIT PREVIEW - Pinch in to close the preview.
4. DOUBLE TAP TO OPEN - Once open, double-tap on the image to open the project directly.
If you're looking for more ways to improve your Procreate expertise, I highly recommend grabbing a few of my Procreate brush packs!
5. SELECT MULTIPLE PROJECTS - From the gallery, tap Select, then tap all projects you want to select.
6. REARRANGE PROJECTS - Tap and hold a project in the gallery and drag it in between other projects to rearrange them.
7. CREATE STACKS - You can either drag a project directly over another to merge them into a stack or if you want to add more than 2 projects at a time, simply select multiples and then tap Stack at the top.
8. REMOVE PROJECT FROM A STACK - From inside of a stack, hold down on the project you want to remove, drag it to the top left (which is the title of the Stack), and you'll return to the gallery. While still holding the project, you can drag and drop it anywhere you'd like to place it.
9. SHARE, DUPLICATE, DELETE PROJECTS - You can share, duplicate, or delete any project by swiping left on the project. You can also bulk share, duplicate, and delete by first selecting multiple projects, then using the controls at the top of the screen.
10. ZOOM IN - Pinch out with two fingers
11. ZOOM OUT - Pinch in with two fingers
12. RESET FRAME - Quick pinch together with two fingers
13. ROTATE - Rotate two fingers on the screen
14. FULL SCREEN - Tap the screen with four fingers (you can adjust this control in the settings)
15. RETURN TO WORKFLOW FROM FULL SCREEN - Tap the screen with four fingers (you can adjust this control in the settings) or select the icon in the top left.
16. MOVE SLIDER UP OR DOWN - Swipe out from the side of the screen over the middle of the slider. It will pop out and you can drag it up or down.
17. MOVE SLIDER TO THE RIGHT SIDE - Actions > Prefs > Right Hand Interface
18. QUICK MENU - Enable in settings. Actions > Prefs > Gesture Controls > QuickMenu
19. EDIT QUICK MENU - Activate QuickMenu according to your settings, then tap and hold any QuickMenu control to change it.
20. UNDO - Tap with two fingers
21. CONTINUOUS UNDO - Tap and hold with two fingers
22. REDO - Tap with three fingers // CONTINUOUS REDO - Tap and hold with three fingers.
Procreate brush packs are an awesome way to spice up your Procreate experience. I can guarantee you that my brush packs are extra spicy!
23. CLEAR LAYER - Scrub screen with three fingers
24. COPY/PASTE - Swipe down with three fingers to bring up the copy/paste menu.
25. CUT/PASTE - Swipe down with three fingers to bring up the cut/paste menu.
26. CREATE STRAIGHT LINE - Draw a line and hold down until it snaps straight.
27. SNAP LINE AT 15 DEGREE INCREMENTS - After drawing a line and holding it down, place a finger on the screen and move up/down/rotate to snap to 15-degree increments.
28. CREATE STRAIGHT EDGE SHAPE - Draw a shape and hold down to snap to straight lines or perfect curves.
29. SNAP SHAPE AT 15 DEGREE INCREMENTS - After drawing a shape and holding it down, place a finger on the screen and move up/down/rotate to snap to 15-degree increments.
30. RESIZE CANVAS WHILE SELECTED - Without having to deselect, simply hold the arrow icon with your finger as you resize your workspace and it won't interfere with your workflow.
31. ENABLE SPLIT SCREEN - Make sure that the app you want to use split-screen with it open. From Procreate, swipe up on your screen to show the dock. Hold down the app you want to add and drag it to the side of the screen, enabling multitasking split screen.
32. ADJUST SPLIT SCREEN - Slide the middle of the split-screen left or right to use split-screen in a 2/3 and 1/3 ratio, so one program takes up more space than the other.
33. REMOVE SPLIT SCREEN - Slide the middle of the split-screen left or right to use split-screen in a 2/3 and 1/3 ratio, so one program takes up more space than the other.
34. LOCK LAYERS - Swipe left on a layer and tap lock.
35. ORGANIZE LAYERS - Tap, hold, and drag up or down.
36. SELECT MULTIPLE LAYERS - Swipe right on all the layers you want to select
37. GROUP LAYERS - After selecting layers, tap Group. Or drag a layer on top of another to group two layers.
38. DUPLICATE LAYERS - Swipe left + Duplicate
39. MERGE LAYERS - Pinch the top and bottom layers together. The middle layers in between will also be merged.
40. DELETE LAYERS - Swipe left + delete
41. ADJUST OPACITY - Two finger tap on the layer in the layer panel
42. SELECT A LAYERS CONTENT - Tap and hold two fingers on the layer in the layer panel
43. LAYER MENU - Tap a layer to invoke the menu
44. ALPHA LOCK - Swipe right with two fingers on a layer
45. ISOLATE ONE LAYER - Tap and hold the visibility icon (checkmark) in the layer panel45.
46. COPY LAYER TO ANOTHER CANVAS - Tap and hold layer, drag it out of the layer panel. Tap Gallery in the top left while continuing to hold down on the layer. Open any project and release it to drop the layers in.
47. PRECISE SIZE ADJUSTMENT - Tap slider and drag out to the side, then drag up or down. The size percentage will adjust slower for more accuracy.
48. PRECISE OPACITY ADJUSTMENT - Tap slider and drag out to the side, then drag up or down. The size percentage will adjust slower for more accuracy.
49. ORGANIZE BRUSHES - Tap + hold + drag up or down
50. ORGANIZE BRUSH SETS - Tap + hold + drag up or down
51. CREATE NEW BRUSH SET - Swipe down on the brush set menu to expose the "+" symbol
52. CREATE NEW BRUSH - Tap "+" in the top right
53. SHARE BRUSH - Swipe left + share
54. DELETE BRUSH SET - Swipe left + delete
55. SHARE BRUSH SET - Tap brush set + share
56. GRAB THE SAME BRUSH YOU'RE USING FOR YOUR ERASER BRUSH - Tap and hold the eraser/smudge icon to invoke the same brush being used.
57. COLOR DROP - Drag top left color circle to canvas and release to fill
58. ADJUST FLOOD THRESHOLD - Drag top left color circle to canvas and before releasing, drag to the left or right to adjust the color threshold.
59. SELECT LAST COLOR USED - Tap and hold the color icon on the top right.
60. EYEDROPPER - Hold your finger down on the canvas to select a color, or tap the round square in between the size and opacity sliders (can be changed in settings).
61. CREATE COLOR PALETTE - Tap the color icon on the top right, select Palettes on the bottom right, then tap the "+" symbol on the top right.
62. ORGANIZE COLOR PALETTES - Tap and hold and drag up or down
63. ADD NEW COLOR TO PALETTE - Tap a square on any palette
64. MOVE COLOR ON PALETTE - Tap color square and hold, then drag and release.
Looking for some extra sparkle?! Check out my glitter procreate brush pack!
65. DELETE COLOR FROM PALETTE - Tap and hold a color from inside the palette, then delete a swatch
66. SHARE COLOR PALETTE - Swipe left + share.
67. DELETE COLOR PALETTES - Swipe left + delete
68. GET TRUE WHITE/BLACK - Double tap near white and color will snap to true white. This works for other colors as well.
69. ZOOM IN ON COLOR DISC - Pinch out with two fingers.
70. ZOOM OUT ON COLOR DISC - Pinch in with two fingers
Grab the FULL PDF of ALL these controls to reference any time at this link!!
HEY YOU! Wanna save this for later? Pin it, like right meow.